Discoloration of teeth is a common issue and almost all of us are subjected to it. The constant deposition of teeth-staining foods and drinks on the teeth is the major cause of it and it can be quite embarrassing when someone points out your discolored teeth. Teeth whitening is the process of getting the stains removed, thereby restoring a brighter smile.
Why do teeth stain?
There are several causes for the discoloration of the teeth. Some of the common ones are:
- Excessive consumption of colored foods: The color from foods can combine with the deposited plaque and form a yellowish or brownish layer on the teeth. Sometimes, drinking beverages such as tea, coffee, and aerated drinks can also lead to discoloration.
- Improper brushing: This can leave bacteria on the teeth and form dark patches on the teeth, especially at the interface of two teeth.
- Oral infections: Oral infections and diseases such as cavities, gingivitis, and root canal infections can discolor the teeth.
- Tobacco: Chewing tobacco and smoking cigarettes not only discolors the teeth but is also a major cause of oral cancer.
- Medication: Certain medications are also known to have a negative effect on the color of the teeth.
How is teeth whitening done?
Teeth whitening is best done under the guidance of a dental professional for ideal, long-lasting results.
- Conventional whitening: It is the most common type of whitening procedure, which has been around for a long time. The dentist cleans the teeth and makes sure there are no cavities or cracks that could affect the procedure. A whitening gel will be applied on the teeth and spread evenly. The gel should remain on the teeth for a few minutes before you rinse it off so that it can remove the stains. The procedure may be repeated multiple times for better results as per the advice of the dentist.
- At-home teeth whitening: People who run on a tight schedule or prefer doing the whitening themselves can opt for this method. Our office will provide you with custom fabricated plastic trays that fit perfectly on your teeth. A whitening gel should be used with the tray and this ensures maximum contact of the gel with the teeth.
Having a stain-free and bright smile is a serious confidence booster. Don’t let the stains on your teeth prevent you from smiling the way you want to. Call us today to schedule an appointment.