Missing teeth can be very frustrating as it looks aesthetically displeasing. Along with this, it has several other disadvantages that hinder the functionality of the teeth. Dental implants are the most effective way to restore missing teeth as they improve both the aesthetics as well as the functionality of the mouth.
Why is it essential to replace missing teeth?
- Teeth which have been extracted leave a gap in the jawbone, which allows the remaining teeth to drift from their positions. It can lead to malocclusion, change in the shape of the jaws, or difficulty eating.
- As the teeth drift from their positions, there is a chance of them loosening from their sockets in the jawbone. This can cause further tooth loss.
- The teeth adjacent to the gap would experience more stress, and the chances of them loosening from the socket are high. It could even lead to the change in alignment of the particular teeth.
- Missing teeth may greatly hinder one’s confidence. People with missing teeth tend to stay conscious of it while smiling or even talking.
- Patients who have had a tooth extracted sometimes complain of pain in the jaws and persistent headache. This is associated with the drifting of teeth.
- The functionality of the mouth, namely biting, chewing and phonetics, will be affected.
Why should you choose dental implants?
Dental implants are considered as the best alternative to natural teeth by dentists around the world. Here is why:
- They are long-lasting restorations. The fact that they are made from titanium and the crown is made from dental grade ceramic is why they are so strong and sturdy. However, proper care must be taken to ensure this.
- They prevent the drifting of the teeth as they not only restore the visible crown (like dental bridges) but also replace the root.
- They enable seamless functionality as they restore the ability to bite, chew and tear food.
- They look like natural teeth as the crown is made from the tooth-colored ceramic material. It can be polished to match the texture and shade of the natural teeth.
- Most importantly, they are confidence boosters. They help a person regain his/her lost smile.
Dental implants procedure
When you visit Smiletheory for the initial consultation, Dr. Singh will examine your mouth for signs of tooth decay, gum diseases, drifting of teeth due to the tooth extraction and bone deterioration. If any, Dr. Singh will tend to these issues prior to starting the implant treatment.
During the surgery at the specialist's office, local anesthesia will be administered to numb the operating area. A small incision will be made on the gums where the implant will be placed. High-precision dental equipment will be used to make a small hole in the jawbone, where the titanium implant will be inserted. Your body’s natural healing accepts the implant and builds bone around it over the course of several weeks to months. The gum tissue heals around the implant as well.
After the wound has healed, an abutment will be attached to the implant, which acts as the connecting element between the implant “root” and the crown. The crown will be prepared in a dental laboratory after the exact measurements and the contour of the tooth are sent. It will be fixed on the abutment with the help of adhesives. Finally, the bite and comfort are checked and any aesthetic adjustments, such as polishing, will be performed.
We make sure our patients feel absolutely comfortable during their visit to our practice. Be it surgeries or regular visits to the dentist, we always give you the best dental treatment. Schedule an appointment with us today!